The town was first settled around 1806. First settled by Joseph McClure and known then as McClure Settlement. The Town of Franklinville was established in 1824 from the Town of Olean. Franklinville was also called "Hebe" and "Ischua" before adopting its current name. The Franklinville School District is comprised of the Town's of Machias, Franklinville, Lyndon, Ellicottville and Ischua. Franklinville Central School is located in the Village of Franklinville in the northwest corner of the Town of Franklinville.
An aerial view of the Franklinville Central School Campus and the Village of Franklinville, New York by Donald Watkins.